Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Madhushala

Madhushala-Harivansh Rai Bachhan

Mrudu bhaavon ke angooron ki aaj bana laaya haalaa,
priyatam, apne hi haathon se aaj pilaunga pyaalaa,
pehle bhog laga lun tera, phir prasad jug paayega,
sabse pehle tera swagat karti meri madhushala.

Today I bring you, this heady potion of ripe grapes,
darling! You shall drink from my own hands,
first, I make my offering to you, then to the world,
my tavern welcomes you, first of all.

Bhaavukata angoor lata se kheench kalpana ki haalaa
kavi bankar hai saaki aaya bharkar kavita ka pyaalaa
kabhi na kanbhar khaali hoga, laakh piye, do lakh piye,
paathakgan hai.N peenewaale, pustak meri madhushala.

From grapevines of emotions, having drawn the spirits of his imagination
here comes the poet, your bartender, with his cup full of poetry
never a drop emptier, though thousands drink,
the readers the drinkers, my poetry the bar.

Laalaayit adharo.N se jisne, haay, nahii.N choomi haalaa,
harsh vikampit kar se jisne haa, na chhua madhu ka pyaala,
haath pakad lajjit saaki ko paas nahii.N jisne khee.Ncha,
vyartha sukhaa daali jeevan ki usne madhumay madhushala.

He who did not, with eager lips, kiss his drink,
he who did not touch his cup, hands quivering with pleasant anticipation,
he who did not grab the reluctant hostess by the hand and draw her near,
Oh woe! Pointlessly has he wasted the heady drink that is life!

Chhote se jeevan mein kitna pyaar karoon,
peeun haalaa,aane ke hi saath jagat mein kehlaaya jaanewaala,
swagat ke hi saath vida ki hoti dekho taiyyaari,
band lagi hone khulte hi meri jeevan madhushala.

How much can I drink and love, life is short,
no sooner did I arrive than I was branded a‚ 'goner',
with the welcome, watch the preparations for farewell,
the end looms for my heady life, having barely begun!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India